Friday, June 8, 2012

Growing your skill and confidence

We had our first baby on Christmas of last year, and he is such a joy. I have three other friends who had their children (all firsts) within two months of me. Anyone with children will know that it is so hard not to compare your kids to everyone else's, especially with Facebook and Twitter around where you can share anything and everything at a moments notice.

 The same things happens with any skill. It is completely normal to compare yourself to your neighbor who makes beautiful wind chimes and dream catchers. To your best friend who is an amazing scrap booker, and your sister who draws and paints like a master. We all do it, even when I don't particularly enjoy a certain craft I still look at someone I know who can do it well and say, I wish I could do that. The thing you have to remember is, we are all beginners at some point in time. You don't pick up a craft and immediately begin producing finished product like a pro. You have to work up to it.

 People say that practice makes perfect, but a very wise women, my Orchestra teacher taught me that that is not true. You can practice something all you want, but unless you practice it right, you wont get anywhere. So keep working, and keep trying. Whatever it is you love to do, just keep doing it because you love it. Do your research, look at what other people are doing and decide what is right for you, then work on that. You don't need to be amazing at something to enjoy it. I love to scrap book. I don't ever end up with anything award winning or even worthy to sell to anyone, but I made it, I like how it turned out and that makes me happy so that is all that matters.
So lets recap, practice your art or hobby in the way you would like to accomplish. Do your research and most of all, have fun with it. Crafting should bring you joy, no matter what it is you make or do with it once it is finished. Just enjoy what you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment